As part of our ongoing contract with the Department of Justice, we currently are recruiting for Care and Custody Officers to join our team in South Hedland. These roles are offered on a Regular Flexi-Time basis (minimum of 30 to a maximum of 76 hours per fortnight) however, there are Full-Time options also available (76 hours per fortnight).
Your main responsibilities will be to pick up and escort People in Custody (PIC) from prisons and lockups and transport them to required locations which could include attending medical or hospital appointments, funerals, inter-prison transfers, court appointments and any other designated collection and delivery as instructed.
Your duties will include but are not limited to:
- Providing for the safety and security of Persons in Custody, staff, employees and members of the public
- Transport Persons in Custody in vehicles and planes as required
- Operate metal detectors and x-ray screening machines to detect concealed weapons and hazardous objects
- Inspect identification badges to control employee bypass entrances and prevent unauthorized access to restricted areas
- Perform walking and mobile patrols of a designated area
- Discharge a duty of care whilst ensuring the safe and secure collection and delivery of Persons in Custody as instructed
To be successful in this role you must be comfortable working in an environment that has frequent daily contact with People in Custody as this role will see you working closely with them, including the use of restraining equipment when required.
Experience working within a similar environment will be highly regarded however, we also seek interest from applicants who do not have prior experience, but have a solid understanding of the importance of security, personal safety and spatial awareness who can adapt to changing working scenarios and demonstrate resilience whilst working under pressure.
Successful candidates should have a flexible approach and possess excellent communication skills to be able to deal with people from a differing and diverse range of backgrounds therefore, your ability to build rapport easily and communicate effectively, using a non-judgmental and compassionate approach is critical and will contribute to your success in this role. Overall, your ability to remain calm in high-pressure situations, demonstrate restraint and have a positive mindset are the key skills we require.
Skills and Requirements:
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A non-judgmental, empathetic approach to Persons in Custody
- High focus on safety and security awareness
- Ability to maintain a reasonable level of fitness to undertake the inherent requirements of the role
- Manual Driving Licence – Desirable (HR, MR licence or F Extension category highly desirable for operating vehicles carrying passengers)
- Willingness to travel (road and air)
- an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen
- be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to provide evidence of this
- have the ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Federal Police Check, Criminal History Check & Working with Children Check
- be prepared to undergo a pre-employment medical including a drug & alcohol test