Bloodwood Tree Association is an incorporated, not-for-profit Aboriginal organisation based in South Hedland. Bloodwood Tree provides services for the homeless, unemployed, those affected by alcohol and drug use, and people in need. Hope Community Services and Bloodwood Tree were successful in securing the CADS tender for the Pilbara commencing 1st July 2022. Two full time vacancies exist, for an Indigenous Diversion Officer to join our current team working Monday – Friday from our South Hedland based office and as well as delivering outreach and prevention services at surrounding remote communities. This position is made possible through a sub-contract with Hope Community Services Ltd.
Duties consist of the following:
Based at Bloodwood Tree, provide support to eligible clients through case management, mentoring, court support, advocacy, referrals to external programs and services, and practical assistance. This includes support to clients to re-engage in education, Work Ready Programs and/or participate in therapeutic programs. This role is also required to work collaboratively with the South Hedland Court and other local social and emotional services and support agencies.
Following skills are required:
- Relevant tertiary or equivalent qualification in Social, Behavioural or Health Sciences or significant experience in counselling or the Alcohol and Other Drug field.
- Experience in Court circuits, court support and advocacy.
- Experience support to eligible clients through case management, mentoring, court support, advocacy, referrals to external programs and services, and practical assistance.
- Experience in working supportively with clients and families and the capacity and commitment to assist them to achieve positive change in their lives.
- Experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people along with solid understanding of Aboriginal culture;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate good decision making in dealing with safety issues and with aggressive and/or intoxicated clients, if required.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills.
- Ability to manage time effectively.
- Strong communication skills and ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Be able to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Willingness to obtain Police Certificate, Working with Children’s, and First Aid Certificate.
- Must hold minimum ‘C’ Driver’s Licence.